Sunday, August 5, 2012

A CLOSE call for this "country girl"!!!

I had the SCARE of my life tonight!!!! Most of you all know I live out in the country. My husband and I like to call it, "God's Country". It's 2 miles from the prettiest lake in Oklahoma. There are rolling hills and it is very green and just a beautiful place to live!! I've lived here since I got married 34 years ago. I was a "city girl" all of my life up to that point and never knew what it was like being out in the country. I did quite a bit of adjusting but soon grew to LOVE it here. I just wouldn't move into the city ever again. WELL tonight, for about 30 minutes I thought about changing my mind. We were eating dinner at my mother in laws house and I had to run home to pick something up and then I was going to run right back over there. We live about 1 or 2 miles away from them. I got home and left my purse in the car and just had my keys. I turned the key and opened the door and heard a thump. I looked down in our door way and just about had a HEART ATTACK!!! It was a young RATTLESNAKE!!!! I didn't know HOW in the world it got up above my door but when I opened it the snake fell down inside the doorway of my house. It was dazed a bit and just layed there. The first thing I thought of was I needed to stop it from slithering into the house any farther so I grabbed a shoe and put it on top of the snake so it couldn’t move. You have to understand I am DEATHLY afraid of snakes!!!!! I started screaming at my dogs because they were trying to come over to me. My husband was still over at his parents house and my phone was still in the CAR!!! I got a board that was laying on our porch and wacked it a couple of times but it still was very much alive. I then layed it on top of the snake as well. I screamed at the dogs to STAY there and I RAN to the car to get my phone and then ran back. I called my husband and yelled, “There is a rattle snake in the house!! Get over here RIGHT NOW!!” I had our car over at our house so he had to borrow my brother in laws truck to get over here. It seemed like an ETERNITY before he got here. I was SOOO afraid that it would get loose in the house but he was able to kill it. I was SHAKING like a LEAF for a very long time but I was VERY grateful it happened during the day while I could see it. My husband earned a LOT of “brownie points” tonight! So I’m back to never wanting to move from the country but this little country gal is going to have a flashlight with me at all times to see when it gets dark and I’m going to look at the top of my door EVERYTIME before I enter!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment