Thursday, September 23, 2010

Do you know the difference between "Pain" and "Suffering"?

Since I've gotten my Certification in coaching my head has just been swimming!! I'm SO totally excited to get started and to learn everything I can to help others, plus other areas of my life have gotten much busier and so my life has been a bit stressful!!! Yesterday a couple of negative things came to my attention. I started worrying about the problems. When I was younger I would worry so bad that it would wake me up in the middle of the night and I'd worry more and couldn't go to sleep. I used to think that it gave me time to try and think of solutions and usually I wasn't very successful in doing that.
Yesterday afternoon I heard a coach and he said some really insightful things! He was talking about pain and suffering. He said that pain is a fact of life. There is no way to escape it and it will always be a part of our life. Suffering is always optional. Suffering is feeling powerless to change the pain. We can always do something about the pain even if it is in the small things we do.
I believe that worrying is a part of suffering. As I worried about those 2 problems yesterday, nothing changed. It didn't change the problem. So what I decided to do to change the pain at least for right now is to put those problems on the top shelf in my mind and when and if they present themselves again I will deal with them then because they were just brought to my attention and didn't need any action at this time. I had to tell myself that now is not the time to act on them so when the time comes to act on them I will handle it. I know that things will work out no matter what and that the Lord is with me and will help me to solve these problems. Well this morning I feel MUCH better and feel more at ease. I choose not to suffer! If any feelings of worry come to my head I'll keep telling myself it's okay and I will deal with it later and everytime I do that I will become stronger and stronger!
If you struggle with fear or suffering and can't get past it please give me a call and I would love to talk with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment